Skip to main content

New Project in the Works- Italian Renaissance

I threatened a while ago to make an Italian Renaissance costume and even though that perpetual Elizabethan project is nearing its end I shall proceed to do just that. My husband and I have an upcoming event in a few weeks, so naturally now is the perfect time to cram in two new projects (one costume for him and one for me).

To start with I always like to do a little lot of research.

 Always a good start; this painting, as it shows slightly different styles being worn at the same time, and a little of the underskirt.
The Preaching of St. John. 1520.
Note the all-over pattern on this gown, combined with the top of the chemise showing, the partlet at the shoulders, and the tightly-fitted lower sleeve. I love how the waist is just slightly higher than the natural waistline.

Proof that this style of sleeve can be tied on as well as set-in. It features the same trim placement as in the first pictures as well.

I'm thinking of doing two sleeve options; one like the green sleeve in the St. John painting, and one like this for evening wear.

As my own hair is now shorter than it used to be I will need to do some sort of beaded hairnet (reta) with added braids probably to make it Renaissance appropriate.

My plan is to blog this project as it progresses over the next 18 days, so there should be lots of research, explanations, and photos to come.

Next time: the design, the shoes, the stockings, the fabric swatches.


Popular posts from this blog

Italian Renaissance Hairstyles

In keeping with my last post on Italian Renaissance costume I thought we would take a look at something we didn't touch much on; hairstyles. They were extremely varying; up and down, braided, netted, entwined with silks and ribbons, even pearls, and, of course, dyed, bleached, and curled. The only thing in somewhat short supply seems to be hats, and really who would want to cover up what you had spent so much time constructing?

Occasionally a small cap, or scuffia, was worn either with side curls, or with most of the hair stuffed up underneathe:-

Another notable hair decoration was the reta, or hairnet. Some of these were beaded, some woven in decorative patterns, and some left very simple.

Under and around these ornamentations, or even without them, hair was often braided or crimped.
There was the simple modesty of a veil, if you felt the need to cover up... Or, if blending into the background wasn't your thing, there were big turbans, or simply huge ones. 

And, of course, the…


How Our Ancestors Slept

As someone who wakes up during the night feeling frustratingly refreshed...and then struggles to rise in the morning, I found this article to be a kind of vindication. Apparently the way we sleep has changed. For more information you can visit the link here.